McDaniel College Budapest 

Registration for EU and EEA citizens
Registration procedure for EU and EEA citizens

Citizens of the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area are not required to obtain residence visas in order to enter Hungary for the purpose of studies. They will, however, be required to register their addresses at the Immigration Office not later than 90 days following their entry into Hungary (download registration form here). Students coming from the above states are exempt from the obligation to report the address of their place of residence on arrival.

The following documents are required for registration:
  • Completed Form for Issuing Registration Certificate and Reporting Accommodation
  • Certificate of Enrollment from McDaniel College Budapest in Hungarian
  • your ID card or valid travel document
  • lease contract for the apartment in Hungarian – two copies (it has to specify the landlord' s and your personal data – date and place of birth, mother' s maiden name, permanent address, landlord' s ID number, your passport No. The contract has to be signed by two Hungarian witnesses)*
  • a stamp duty of HUF 1,000, which can be obtained at a post office (okmánybélyeg)
  • proof of funds to cover your expenses in Hungary (bank statement indicating adequate funds available for living expenses (a balance of at least USD 2,000-3,000)**
  • certification of valid medical insurance coverage in Hungary
* If you stay with an acquaintance or a relative as a guest (not paying for the accommodation), a statement of admission (befogadói nyilatkozat) has to be attached from the owner of the apartment that they provide accommodation for you as a courtesy. The statement has to specify the owner' s and your personal data. It has to be signed by two witnesses, including their addresses and ID card numbers. If the apartment is your property, a title deed has to be attached to verify it. If you rent the apartment through an agency and you signed a contract with the agency, the agency should provide the authorization received from the owner of the apartment
** If you are the holder of a bank account (opened in your home country or in Hungary), it is sufficient to enclose a bank statement on the current balance. If the holder of the account is a parent or a relative, you should document that you have exchanged or drawn funds from ATMs in the amount of at least USD 7/800 and enclose a photocopy of the bank card. You can submit a written declaration explaining the sources of the funds and the amounts that your receive on a regular basis to cover your living expenses.
If you meet all conditions for residence in Hungary for a period longer than three months, the immigration authority will issue a Registration Certificate to you, which contains the address of your first residence in Hungary. You will receive your ID card and Address Card by mail.

Please note that any applications, statements or declarations submitted to the Immigration office must meet the following requirements: 1/ statements in your own handwriting with your signature are acceptable 2/ word-processed or typed documents must be signed by you and two witnesses (full names, ID or passport numbers, addresses).

Immigration Office at Budafoki út 60
Address: 11th district, Budafoki út 60 – Sztregova köz. Phone: 463 9100 (buses #33 or 33A from Móricz Zsigmond körtér (Karinthy Frigyes út) – get off at 5th stop at Hengermalom út). Moricz Zs. Circus can be reached by tram #6 from Blaha Lujza tér accross Petőfi Bridge (terminal at Móricz Zs. Körtér) or by buses #. 7, 7E, 173, 173E from Keleti Pályaudvar (Eastern Railway Terminal) accross Elizabeth Bridge. Get off at Moricz Zsigmond Körtér

Office Hours for EU and EEA citizens at the Immigration Office (Customers' Services # 3 and 5, 1117 Budapest, Budafoki ut 60):
Monday 8:30 am to 1:00 pm
Tuesday 1:00 to 6:00 pm
Wednesday 8:30 to 12:00 am Special Office hours for students
Thursday 8:30 am to 1:00 pm
Friday 8:30 to 12:00 am